Lock Terminology

A list of terminology and diagrams are shown here to alleviate any questions you may have when purchasing a lock from us. The links below provide more detailed information on the various types of locks used on furniture and cabinets.

Backset: is the distance between the selvedge edge and center of pin in the keyhole. It is the most crucial measurement when replacing missing locks.........the key when inserted through your keyhole must line up with the pin in the center of the lock keyhole.

Lock Bolt: Rectangular piece which ejects through the selvedge into the strike or furniture thereby holding door, drawer or lid closed

Selvedge: Edge of the lock through which the bolt ejects and recedes

Lock Body: The locking mechanism including it's cover.

Lock Plate: Lock face holds lock body. This plate typically screws directly to door, drawer or chest.

Levers: Key moves the levers as it turns inside the lock. The more levers the more complex the lock. Levers are housed in the lock body.

Lock Strike - Two types: 1. Used to minimize wear from movement of bolt 2. Strike mounts to the underside of lid. Protruding clips on underneath of strike connect to lock when closed.