Classic Brass Keys are used for furniture and cabinets on drawers, doors, desks, boxes and chests. The excellent quality and vintage style make these solid brass keys great replacements. Keys are common sizes with hollow barrels. Available with a notched-end. This end, also known as the key-bit, is important as turning the key, turns lock-mechanism, which pushes bolt thru lock or draws the bolt back into lock. If key bit is not correctly notched it will not open and close lock. Profile of key-bit varies according to individual lock.
Key bit may require cutting to turn the lock mechanism. Notches can be cut with a hacksaw.
Finish: Polished, not lacquered
Skeleton Key type with cut bit
These barrel keys are hollow. Barrel is made to slip onto lock pin. Interior barrel-diameter is 1/8". Your lock pin must be slightly less than 1/8" for these keys to fit.
Barrel Length: 1-1/2"
Barrel Interior: 1/8" Diameter
Fitting Furniture Keys
Replacing keys for an existing lock is difficult
- Lock bits, also known as blades, are specifically cut to fit a lock. Depending on the lock mechanism this can be complex.
- Unfortunately knowing the manufacturer and model number of the lock does not help in locating a key to fit an antique lock.
- Cutting the bit/blade, to turn the lock mechanism, often requires the skills of a locksmith.
Before choosing a key blank:
Determine lock-pin diameter This measurement is critical as key-barrel must slide over lock pin.
- The key-bit must be sized correctly to move the lock-bolt .
Profile of key-bit varies according to individual locks.
- Some locks are easily turned with a simple un-notched blade
- Other locks require a key bit with one notch to lock or unlock
- Many locks require a key cut with 2 notches: one notch locks the lock the other notch unlocks the lock
- Some locks, made with spring-loaded levers, also require 2 notches however they also must be different sizes. This type of key is difficult to reproduce
Selecting Keyhole Covers - Escutcheons
For accurate fit:
- Measure keyhole height in keyhole cover
- Measure key-end height, height of key-bit
- Compare above determined measurements, to interior keyhole measurements, of the desired keyhole cover
When will my order ship?
Orders normally leave our warehouse in 1 – 2 business days
Ground delivery usually takes 3-5 business days depending upon your location. We ship out of Maryland
Ground Shipping is Free on Orders over $99 to the 48 contiguous US
Low $6.95 flat-rate shipping for orders less than $99 to the 48 contiguous states, USA
Air and International shipping is calculated according to carrier rates, box size and weight. Please call or email for assistance.
Returns are accepted within 60 days of receipt for a full merchandise refund - your original payment method will be credited for the merchandise amount.
If you need assistance, we are happy to help! 800-241-9741
Monday – Friday 9:00 am – 5:00 pm Eastern Time